Pages

Banner

Friday, February 19, 2010

Vegetarian Poon Choy 佛山吉祥盆菜


Poon Choy literally means Basin Dish cos in the older days, this dish is served in a wooden basin (盆). I suppose this is how the name of the dish come about.


Poon Choi is associated to events that affect the entire community. It is a symbol of village cohesion, i.e all who eat from the common pot are equals.


All of the poon choy offered by the restaurants are non-vegetarian. So when Chef Warehouse offered this class, I signed up quickly with the grand plan to make this for my family reunion dinner.


Closer the the dinner, I heard my mum telling all my siblings potluck. Imagine every of my 5 siblings bring 2 dishes to the dinner, we are going to run out of space on the dinner table. Poon choy is a "comprehensive" dish. Most of the time, people only need 1 or 2 other dishes to go with the meal.

So I scrapped the idea.

Anyway this is another vegetarian dish that the instructor demonstrated at the class: Stir fried vegetarian liver.

The liver really looks and taste like the real liver but too salty for me.

--------------

CHEFS' WAREHOUSE
Blk 148 Toa Payoh Lorong 1 #01-927
Singapore 310148
Tel : 6252 2260 / 9105 5461 (Mrs Chua)

3 comments:

dk said...

I like your mum's planning. =) ahaha

mui mui said...

aiya, you should have went ahead with original plan to prepare the "pen-cai" so we can sample the dish. Hope to have the chance to taste it... still, thanks for the thoughts

Cookie said...

dk
age is catching up lah... i am happy to share the load of cooking!

muimui
I can still prepare the dish at the next dinner. Just need 3 days' advance notice cos need to go shopping - there are about 15-20 items to buy :-)