Pages

Banner

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bubur Terigu (大麦)



It is interesting how 1 blog can inspire the 2nd, then the 3rd... Haha, I made this 大麦 after reading her post, which she did after reading it in 阿豐 .

It's good isn't it? I hope more people will take time to cook for their beloved family. I was a little sad when my hong kong colleagues told me the "normal" family do not cook at home. That explains why all the restaurants in HK are doing a roaring business!

Anyway I derailed.

I bought the wheat from NTUC. Had wanted to use her recipe but was too lazy to write it down or to connect my notebook to the printer. I started to thumb thru my collection of the recipe book.
I settled on this from late Mrs Leong Yee Soo's "The best of Singapore Cooking".
******************************************
Bubur Terigu

A
115g sugar*
285g palm sugar
225ml water
8 pandan leaves

B
55g quick cooking oats**
285ml water

C
680g grated coconut ***
¼ tsp salt **
285ml water **
285g biji terigu
1.7L water
D
Thickening: 3 tablespoon flour to mix with 170ml water
  1. boil A for 10min and strain
  2. mix B and cook for 5-7 minutes.
  3. squeeze coconut for no. 1 milk. Add salt and set aside.
  4. add 285 ml water to coconut and squeeze for no. 2 milk.
  5. soak biji terigu in cold water for 10min, drain. Pound to break up the terigu. Bring it to boil with 1.7L water. Cook until terigu is tender and swelling. Reduce heat.
  6. pour (1), (2) and thickening into the pot. Add no. 2 milk and boil for 2min. remove from heat.
  7. serve in individual bowl with a topping of 2 tbsp No. 1 milk. Serve hot.
My notes:
* I didn't use white sugar. Only use palm sugar cos it has a better aroma. Also I do not like it too sweet.

** I used rolled oats instead of quick-cooking oats cos this is what I have at home. It just take a few more minutes to cook.
*** I used Kara ready to use coconut cream. I always keep a pack at home for cooking in a whim!
******************************************
Adding the oat may seem a little strange initially, I was glad I didn't omit. It makes the bubur more creamy and gooey. There's no oat taste at all, if you are concern.
Although I only made 1/4 of the recipe, it is still relatively huge amount for me since I am the only person eating these. Had wanted to bring some to mum, but only after cooking I found out that she has gone travelling! Wow, she more happening than me.
The balance went to my colleagues; they confirmed this is better than those sold in the dessert stall.

4 comments:

ann low said...

WOW! Long time did not eat this, looks so good. Thanks for sharing.

Cookie said...

Give it a go! Nice and easy...

Cheers!

Blessed Homemaker said...

I've always wanted to cook this but don't know how to :P Thanks for sharing!

Cookie said...

Blessed Homemaker,
You are welcome! I look forward to seeing the bubur in your blog.