Pages

Banner

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Garlic and Rosemary Focaccia Bread (Bread Mix)



Once a while my itchy fingers will pick up the ready mix at the supermarket shelf. Not that I can;t make this from scratch, but the thought of assembling the various herbs (garlic powder, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried basil etc) is quite daunting besides there's also economics considerations.

Instead of using those herbs once off, I suppose I am better baking with such bread mix. Excuse excuse and excuse. LOL.
It is really easy, just add water and olive oil. Knead and done.
The only problem I had at baking is that the proofing seem to take forever. I waited for 1.5hour, still the bread is pretty much the same size... so I kept it in the unplugged oven and went to bed.
The next morning, it seemed to be a little puffy though still far from being double. I told myself, Goner.
I went on to bake it nonetheless (but didnt want to waste time poking the signature dents on the bread). Fortunately, there's oven spring, and it rise further when baked.

The bread turns out to be very flavourful and yes, very heady aroma of herbs. I took the whole tray to work as I have no time to wait for it to cool and cut it.

It was quite well received at the office. Very quickly, the happy souls at 4 West spirited away all the bread! I was only left with the cooling rack and knife to take home :-(

7 comments:

Art of Eating said...

Interesting Bread Mix. Where did you get this from ?

Anonymous said...

Love how you've captured the texture of the focaccia! Sorry to hear you were only left with the cooling rack, but with a bread looking that good, I can totally understand why everyone would want a piece of that! :P

Anonymous said...

have never seen a pre mix for bread before!
looks fantastic.
awww. cheer up dear!
you're an awesome baker you can make one way better than that, anytime ;)

MaryMoh said...

That sounds easy and simple. I have to try that, using the ready mix. I love to see all those holes in the bread. I'm sure it's tasted great.

Cookie said...

Hi AoE,
Got the breadmix from Market Place at basement of Paragon.

Hi Ovenhaven & Felicia,
Thanks for the nice words!

Hi Mary
It taste really good on the day it was baked!!!

But since I didn't get a chance to keep some for the next day, I can't comment much. I suspect that bread made with straight method like this won't keep very well.

Pls let me know if you do try it out.

Halimah Ilavarasi said...

hey hey!

Looks like you've been busy baking lots of stuff! :) Nice bread.. I can imagine it will make a nice sandwich!

Cookie said...

Hi Halimah,
Ya, I had fun with all the flours!!!