Pages

Banner

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Moist Butter Cake


Since the last failed butter cake, I have been looking and trying... Was happy that I finally found the ONE just before Xmas... So glad that I am able to make amend to my last mistake!

Thanks to Ju at The Little Teochew !


Moist Butter Cake

195g all-purpose flour - I used cake flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
170g unsalted butter, softened
225g sugar - I use 180g
1 large egg, plus one large egg yolk
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
12 tbsp whole milk (180ml)
Optional: A splash of cognac

1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius. Butter and line a 9-inch cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Using a mixer on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until fluffy for about 2 minutes.
4. Beat in egg, egg yolk, vanilla and cognac (if using) until well-combined.
5. On low speed, add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with milk.
6. Switch mixer to medium and beat for 10 to 15 seconds, just until batter appears uniform.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with spatula or knife. Tap the pan gently against the work top for tapped air bubbles to escape.
8. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until it a skewer comes out clean.
9. Leave to rest in pan for 5 minutes before serving.

Notes:

  • The cognac adds a classy flavour to the butter. But I will skip as I am after the distinguishable butter flavour esp so if you have used a good butter like Lurpak or Golden Churn.
  • Using the cake flour gives the cake some lightness, I find.

Overall this recipe is a keeper given the texture and lightness achieved with only 1 egg (2 if you count the additional egg yolk).

No comments: