After the last indecisive bread , I finally got down to make a proper one. The charcoal powder is tasteless, so only the look is different. Taste and texture is dependent on the bread recipe you used.
The flavour of the month is Alex Goh's Magic Bread . I only replace the 20g of flour with bamboo charcoal powder
Here's the recipe for anyone who is up for the black beauty!
Basic Sweet Bread dough
Recipe from Alex Goh "Magic Bread"
100g bread flour
70g boiling water
300g bread flour
80g plain flour
20g bamboo charcoal powder
20g milk powder
9g instant yeast (I used 25g fresh yeast)
175g cold water
60g cold egg
- Add boiling water from A into flour, mix until well blended to form a dough. Cover and set aside to cool. Keep it into fridge for at least 12 hrs.
- Mix B until well blended. Add in C and knead to form rough dough. Add in A and knead till well-blended.
- Add in D and knead to form elastic dough
- Let it proof for 40mins. (Just make sure the dough double in size, no matter how long it takes.)
- Divide the dough into required weight and mould it round. Rest it for 10mins and ready to use.
I realised that people here are not so used to the black food. I packed it for Sheen breakfast. In the evening, he came back to tell told me his teachers and friends stared... one kind teacher came to check if the bread is ok for consumption. *LOL*