Pages

Banner

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Grandpa's 88th Birthday




I was not suppose to bake on the eve before leaving for my vacation, but at the eleventh hour I couldn't resist making something for my grandpa who was to celebrate his 88th birthday on the coming weekend.

Like the old saying, it's the thought that counts.

It was meant to be the white and dark chocolate mousse cake. As I was working thru the ingredients, no surprise to see that the white chocolate has just passed the expiry. Heartache.

It ended up being dark chocolate mousse cake. You know, it's the thought that counts... (keke)


Black and White Chocolate Mousse Cake
Adapted from Alex Goh’s Baking Code

Bake a 18cm round cake using this recipe or your favourite recipe.

Black Chocolate Mousse:
Milk 50g
Kahlua 1 tbsp
Choc Dark – 60g
Gelatine powder 2 tsp (see notes 1)
Water 30g
Non-dairy Whipping cream 140g

1. Heat milk with instant coffee (if any).
2. add chopped chocolate, stir until it is melted.
3. separately add gelatine powder to water, microware at 10sec interval until gelatine dissolves.
4. Add gelatine to chocolate milk mixture
5. whip cream until soft peaks. Fold into (4).


White Chocolate Mousse:
Milk 50g
White chocolate – 60g
Gelatine powder - 2 tsp
Water 30g
Non-dairy Whipping cream 140g

1. Heat milk with instant coffee (if any).
2. add chopped chocolate, stir until it is melted.
3. separately add gelatine powder to water, microware at 10sec interval until gelatine dissolves. 4. Add gelatine to chocolate milk mixture
5. whip cream until soft peaks. Fold into (4).


To assemble:
  1. Slice the round cake into 2 pieces.
  2. Place the first piece cake in a mousse ring.
  3. Add dark choc mousse. Keep cake in fridge until the mousse set (about 1 hour depending on fridge)
  4. Place the 2nd piece of cake over the dark mousse.
  5. Add white choc mousse.
  6. Refrigerate again until the mousse set.
I save time by putting the cake in the freezer.

My family will be away for the vacation but I couldn't resist making


My mum comes from a humougous family... and I never keen to bake anything for anyone in her clan. On the positive note, I decline to bake for them citing the huge family; I do not want to set a precedent or an expectation.




Secretly, I believe my unwillingness has more to do with my unpleasant childhood memories of these relatives. I still recalled as a primary scholler, one of them blatantly said that I must be so happy over his son's poor results so that I can be the king in kingdom of blind. Another one told me no need for me to work hard cos my poor parents won't be able to afford my education. The 3rd concluded that discussion that I will be better off learning to do some houseworks so that I can at least get a job as chambermaid or dishwasher.




School holidays are always stressful; I got asked about my results 1001 times by different aunties and uncles. Despite being the top quartile in my studies, I still kena "suan" mercilessly for any subject that is less than sterling.




They could be just joking but it left a permanent negative impact on me... always wanting to do better, always eager to please.




Only grandpa is different. He is probably one of

6 comments:

Jen said...

So simple yet lovely. Thank you for sharing the recipe, I'm so gonna try this. =)

Cookie said...

Hi Jen,
When you get to do this, can you pls let me know how it taste cos I didn't hv the chance to taste it =p.

mui mui said...

wow, the cake is so sweet! No wonder Ah Ma told mama that the cake is so so swee eh!

Your sweet thought must have touched their hearts like the way you have always touched mine...

Art of Eating said...

OMG this is so beautifully done

Anonymous said...

aww thats sweet dear :)
lovely cake!
and happy birthday to your grandpa.
88 is really wow.

Cookie said...

Hi muimui,
ok enough rubbing up... u will get your black forest sooner than you thought!

btw, Sheen also went "wow" when he saw the cake!

Hi YinYin,
It is quite easy to make. Do try out for the next birthday cake.

Hi Felicia,
I was trying to make up for having to miss his celebration... not many lucky ones have 88 good years!