The recipe comes from another new book by a Malaysian publisher. I like to buy Malaysian's book cos I find our taste are more similar. I know i can follow the amount of sugar in the book yet not end up with sugar overdose!
Also, they are so much cheaper when bought in MY. Since I was in KL for business, I thought getting a few of these. This book there cost RM20 which works out to be a little over $8. It goes for $14 in SG!!!
Lemon Cheesy Snowball
130 gm. Butter
80 gm. cream cheese
50 gm. icing sugar
1 tbsp. lemon essence
150 gm. plain flour
30 gm. potato flour
- Preheat oven to 120-140C.
- Beat (A) until light and pale.
- Sieve in (B). Use a rubber spatula to fold lightly (do not knead). Scale at 7gm each portion, shape into rounds very lightly. Arrange on lined baking trays.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25min. Remove from oven, dust top with icing sugar, cool well and store.
- if you follow the instruction and divide the dough into 7g each, you will get 80psc. I go for the easy way; using the cookie scoop, I get only 35pcs.
- Becos of the much bigger size, it took me double the time to bake my tray of cookies.
- I added 20 drops of real lemon juice, still I do not taste the lemon very much. In fact the whole cookie is quite bland - there's not much of cheese or lemon or sugar.
- This is a melt-in-your mouth type of cookie.
The first recipe from the book is not-so-fantastic. I wish the instructions can be clearer. E.g on the oven temperature, the author gave a range 120-140C, and says in the book "every oven has different setting". Excuse me, I thought we should be talking of the calibrated oven temperature. The author could have used the oven thermometer to provide the exact temp required, and not depend on what the knob says. Aiyoh...professional baker.
I have 4 more recipe to go... Let's see how the rest fare.