The usual hot cross bun is made with spices like ground cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves and has lots of raisins or other candied fruit.
Sheen & daddy don't like the taste of a real hot cross bun. So I did my own version - using my favourite recipe here with custard filling. Ya, it is more like a pudding bread.
I only added the symbolical "cross" on top of the buns using the custard mixture (see C below) after the 2nd proofing.
~800g bread dough, of your choice.
100g instant custard powder
250g cold full cream milk
Combine the 2 ingredients and mix well.
Take 50g of (B), mix with 1tbsp of plain flour.
- divide bread dough into 40g each portion. rest for 10min. roll into round shape and rest for 5 min.
- flatten the dough with hand, wrap sufficient filling. Seal well.
- arrange the dough in a baking pan. proof until the dough double in size.
- Just before baking, using (C) pipe a cross on top of the bread.
- bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 20min.