Pages

Banner

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

eat your Black Forest Cake!



Dot thought the cake in previous post was hers. Mui Mui, this one then yours lah... isn't it much prettier?

I certainly think they are.

This time, I am trying out another recipe; this is from Jo.


It is essentially a chiffon cake recipe, and certainly works as fine as the one from Florence. The big plus is that the steps in Jo's recipe is slightly simpler than what I was used to. Less steps for same results, why not huh?

Below here is with my modifications:

***********************************
Chocolate Chiffon Cake

(A)
3 small egg yolks
110g cake flour
½ tsp baking soda
20g natural cocoa powder
40g castor sugar
70g oil
110g chocolate milk, warmed
1 tsp chocolate emulco

(B)
3 small egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
40g castor sugar

Decoration:
350-400g non-dairy whipping cream
120g dark pitted cherries
fresh fruits: blueberries and strawberries

To bake the Chocolate chiffon cake:
  1. Preheat oven at 180 degC.

  2. Sift flour, baking soda and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl. Add egg yolks, castor sugar, oil and milk to the dry ingredients. Use a hand whisk to mix until just combined. Add more milk if the batter is too thick.

  3. In a separately mixing bowl, whisk egg whites with cream of tartar at medium speed until formy. Add sugar and continue to whisk on high speed until soft peaks form. Turn to medium speed now and stop whisking when reach stiff peak.

  4. Use a large spatula to fold 1/3 of egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Fold gently to not deflate the egg whites.

  5. Transfer mixture in (4) to the remaining 2/3 of egg whites. Fold gently.

  6. Pour batter into a 8 inch round cake pan. DO NOT grease your pan.
    Bake at preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.

  7. Remove cake from oven. Invert cake pan immediately on a wire rack and let cake cools completely before turning it out of the pan.
***********************************


Pls refer to Jo's website for decorating instructions.

Not matter how I try to squeeze in the berries, I end up throwing away the last bits; I do not want to live with another black forest for the next few weeks!!!



Here's your slice, Dot.



I swear I divided the cake evenly this time. Look, the bottom is significantly shorter than the top. I bet it is the weight of the berries and cream weighing it down!!!

7 comments:

mui mui said...

what a waste to dump this cake! i am salivating now... yum yum

Anonymous said...

impressive! ;)
love the hearts at the side of the cake.
did you bake them together or put them at the end?

Cookie said...

mui mui,
don't bake, I got to dump my black cherries. Bake liao, dump the cake. You tell me who more heartache leh? *cry*

MRUC,
I sprinkle the hearts before baking. I used the CK brand which won't melt in the oven.

Cheers!

Art of Eating said...

The slice cake look goods ! So tempting to go try

Cookie said...

Hi YY,
This is fluffy type of cake. I think you will like this!

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh this looks so good! I don't eat cream of any sort, and will always meticulously scrape it off a cake slice, but for blackforest cake, I'll eat them whole! And yours definitely look tempting *drools*....

Cookie said...

ovenhaven,
thanks for your kind words!!! I am sure you can do better anytime :-)

hahaha, you have a perculiar fresh cream habit... my honour to serve you a slice!