Pages

Banner

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Yummiest Cake - Lychee Martini from Pine Garden

Lychee Martini was ranked as among the best cake in Singapore, with the likes of Sweet Secrets and Mezza9, in a Sunday Times column many light years ago.


I remembered then I rushed down to Pine Gardens in AMK, and went AGH when i saw the humble shop... uh well, my mum did say never judge a cake by the store :-)


It's must have been over 4 years (or more)... cos other than the memory of the adventure, i can't really remember the taste.  Not that it is forgettable, but a baker's pride that only cares for what comes from her oven!!!




I was glad that I had the chance to re-live the taste on Friday night.  


My ex-boss is finishing his assignment in Singapore, and his team organized a farewell party for him in a very nice restaurant.  So, what has the cake got to do with a Dutch man?




This bag cake was a surprise for the organizer, PL, whose birthday falls in the same period!!!  A few thoughtful ladies planned this, and had PL's favorite bag (accordingly she uses this 60% of the time... trust planners to be this precise!) immortalized in a Lychee Martini cake! 


In my recent cake-venture, i am taught that fondant covered cake must be firm and dense in order to withstand the weight of the fondant.  But this theory was scrapped here!




  

Pine Garden uses vanilla sponge as a base, which is moist and fluffy.  Between the layers is the light buttercream infused with lychee.  If there's any alcohol, none of us can taste it!  I am assuming that they have macerated the canned fruits in some liquor like rum or limoncello, in which case, the liquor flavor can be made stronger by brushing the sponge layer with the leftover liquor.  


My other complaint is that there's really too little lychee bits...  the canned fruits should be economical enough for the baker to be more generous!  


The covering is made with chocolate fondant which is quite yummy.  I wonder if they are using the Pentinice Bakel fondant.  


Looking at the pretty (and tasty) cake got me itchy to get back to serious baking and cake decor...  Some day, some time...  








Pine Garden's Cake
Blk 529 Ang Mo Kio Ave 10
#01-2369/2329
Singapore 580529
Tel: 6457 6159


Operating hours - 8:30am to 9:30pm (daily)
http://www.pgcake.com/

2 comments:

ann low said...

Hi Cookie, How are you? Sorry for not visiting you for so long.
I've not tried Lychee Martini cake before and its sounds so delicious. I definitely love to make this one day.
Hope you have a happy weekend :)

MaryMoh said...

Wishing you and your family a great and prosperous New Year 2012! Love that cake. Looks so beautiful! I am already back to Aberdeen again to face the winter :( But then, I find it's still quite bearable for the time being, not as I had expected. I just think that the blast is not here yet. It was really back when I was back in Malaysia. So, really can't tell. Hope you have a great day.