Pages

Banner

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Chocolate Chunk Cookie

Ever since I received Kenwood Chef as a gift from J, I never do anymore manual creaming anymore. The mixer is incredible, and with the flexi-beater , I didn't even need to stop to scrap the sides of the bowl! God send!


It makes me want to bake more. More More More. I bake much faster than the rate of consumption. Tubs and tubs of cookies go to the people around me. Haha, good for my karma, I hope *LOL*


I made this cookie twice in a roll cos the first time I find they ain't crispy enough, so I gave to people who like chewy cookie.

The 2nd time, I change the proportion of brown/white sugar, and also flatten the dough slightly. Yes, the temperature was also reduced by 10C. Now I have buttery and crispy cookie! Enjoy!


Chocolate Chunk Cookie
Recipe from The Sweeter Side of Amy's Bread via http://joyofbaking.com/ChocolateChunkCookies.html

Excerpt from JOB: “If you are in the mood for a crisp and buttery chocolate chip cookie this recipe is for you. It comes from an excellent book , which features sweet treats from the very popular New York bakery, Amy's Bread. The baking soda used in this recipe aids in the browning of the cookies plus counteracts the acidity of the brown sugar. Chunks of semi sweet chocolate are used instead of chocolate chips to give these cookies a more intense chocolate flavor. You can use any combination of bitter, semi sweet or white chocolate or even those delicious toffee bits. These cookies are giant sized, but if you want to make smaller cookies, keep in mind you will have to reduce the baking time.”

2 cups (260 grams) all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup (130 grams) granulated white sugar - I used ½c
2/3 cup (140 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar - I used ¼c
1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract - I used 2 tsp
1 1/4 cups (210 grams) chocolate chunks - I use chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Place one oven rack in the top third of the oven, and one oven rack in the bottom third of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In the bowl of your electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy (about 2 - 3 minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg and egg yolk, beating until well combined. Beat in the vanilla extract.
  4. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat just until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
  5. Form dough into balls, using 1/4 cup (55 grams) for each cookie. Place six balls of dough on each baking sheet. Gently flatten each ball of dough into a 2 1/2 inch (6.5 cm) round. Bake the cookies for about 15-17 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking time.
  6. The cookies are done when they are light golden brown in color and just set. They will still seem a little soft but they will firm up as they cool. Remove from oven and let the cookies cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.

4 comments:

Zurynee said...

hi,

I am actually interested in getting the flexibeater and very dissappointed that kenwood in sg doesn't carry it. Did you get it from the link that you provided or it comes with the chef that you just got?

TIA
Zu

Cookie said...

Hi Zurynee,
the flexibeater came with the mixer (or the other way round *LOL*)

did u try calling Kenwood to check? It is really useful for creaming butter and making cheese cake!

Zurynee said...

I called Kenwood but unfortunately they don't bring it in .. so sad .. I will try calling them again and see if they can order for me. Don't understand why they dont bring it in since they include it with the mixer.

Zu

Cookie said...

I was told the beater was included in the pack due to the promotion. My fren who just got the mixer do not have the flexi-beater either!

She's sooooo upset!