I understand some of her guests do not take egg, and given the large quantity that I needed to churn out, I turned to a simple vegan recipe. This is my dry run before the big grand event.
The original recipe is from Orgran's Everday Health Magazine which I pick up from here .
325 g self-raising flour (see baker's note)
60 g plain flour
220 g grapeseed oil (or any other neutral smelling oil)
180 g icing sugar
fine orange zest from 4 oranges
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- add dry ingredients to oil and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Knead for about a minute to combine. (The dough should be soft but not sticky - add a tiny bit of self-raising flour if you find yours sticky)
- Roll out to about 0.5 cm thickness, cut out into desired shapes.
- Bake in a lined/non-stick pan for 20 mins at 150 degree celcius.
- The self rising flour will rise and fluff up the cookie so that it will be lighter and crispier. But it is obvious the leavening has affected the appearance of the cookie. I will try using plain flour instead.
- I baked mine at 175C instead of 150C. cos I find that high temperature helps the cookie to retain the shape better. If u increase the temp, keep a watch on the timing... I only need 7-8min.