I have amended the title from "vegan" to "eggless"... vegan is one which do not have animal origin but since this lovely tarts calls for a large amount of good quality butter, they do not quality for the "vegan" category :-)
If you have been using egg in your pineapple tart, I really urge you to try this. It is much simplier with lesser ingredients to handle, yet no one is any wiser to know the difference. Trust me. What's more... The pathetically caged-up egg hens in the modern farm will thank you for your decision!
Just for aesthetic reason, I made the tart in paper case and without - you can see that it is much prettier with the cases, ya?
One more thing - this is a melt-in-your-mouth type of pastry. I know some people likes the crunchy type... I like the crumbly soft one in this recipe.
Icing sugar: you can also use castor sugar if you only have this at home. But the finer the sugar, the better it will retain the shape after bake.
Yellow food colouring: Because there's no egg yolk, you may add some colouring to make the dough looks more appetising. I have skipped this to keep it as wholesome as possible.
Shaping the tart: There are 2 types -> open-face and close-face.
- To make the open-face type, simply roll out the dough on the working top. Use the tart cutter to cut out the dough. Place a ball of pineapple filling on top and press gently to secure the filling to the dough.
- Divide the dough equally, either by weighing them individually or by the spoon method. I use the latter; measure out the dough in a measuring spoon. I experience different ratio of dough: filling... and personally I prefer 10ml dough to 10 ml filling. Again this is matter of personal preference... you have to try try to find out that you like.
360 plain flour
50g icing sugar
300g cold unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Sift flour and sugar. Mix well.
- Add butter to flour. Rub it with your fingers until it resembles bread crumbs. Add vanilla essence and colouring (if using) to form dough.
- Chill for an hour.
- Shape the pineapple as you desired.
- Baked at 190C for 12 min. For my oven, it took 20min.