Before I pick up baking, I used to order cupcakes from the on-line bakers as I ogled at those pretty photos. Pretty yes, taste... unfortunately most of the times it is...., well, let's just say it looked prettier than it tasted. To be fair to the bakers, there are some really good ones like :
- the Devil's Chocolate from Cupcake Loft,
- the Chocolate Ganache from Half Baked Ideas
- almost everything from CCup
Enough rumbles from me, this cranberry cupcake is sooo good, thanks to a recipe posted by Gina at KC. I think all on-line bakers should have tried this before putting theirs up for sale. *GRIN*
Due to the amount of yoghurt in this recipe, the cake is very moist and soft. The sour-ness does not come from the yoghurt but the cranberries. To plump it up, I soak it in hot water for 20min before adding it to the yoghurt.
I used my own home-made yoghurt which is very thick... I should thin it down slightly next time round cos the batter looks very thick. Initially I was worried that the cake would turn out to be too dry but it's nothing short of PERRRFECT!
This cake does not brown so you need to taste for done-ness using the stick or toothpick. If you wait to see it turns brown, the cake would have been over-baked by then, and become too dry.
110g butter, room temperature
140g castor sugar
200g self-raising flour (original call for 200g plain flour + 1 tsp baking powder)
80g dried cranberries
200g plain white yoghurt (not 200ml)
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp melted margarine (for brushing on cupcake tray)
- In a small bowl, add yoghurt and cranberries to mix together. Let it stand for 30 mins (room temperature).
- In a large mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar till creamy. (I took 5 min - 3m on low, 2m on med high).
- Add eggs, 1 at a time. Mix well
- Add vanilla essence to the mixture. Mix well. Turn off mixer.
- Add cranberry yoghurt mixture and mix with a spoon till evenly mixed.
- Fold in sifted flour/baking powder till well blended.
- Brush cupcake tray with melted margarine. Spoon mix into each cup.
- Baked in preheated oven 180C for 20 mins till golden brown. Serve warm.