Pages

Banner

Monday, August 18, 2008

Eggless Cola Muffin



With the leftover coke, I went on to experiment another recipe: S'mores Cola Muffin and Banana Cola Muffin.

S'more Muffin are essentially Marshmallow Muffin... I read from somewhere that Marshmallow, when baked, it's so good that everyone reaches for some more. Hence the name S'mores Muffin :-)

If you have notice, I like to bake with recipe that uses little or no egg. I wish I could have free ranging hens to provide sufficient eggs for my baking needs... but till then, I will do my utmost best to reduce the sufferings to the egg-hens. :-)


I divided the batter into 2 - some for s'mores muffin and some banana muffin.

Marshmallow: I put in 1 big marshmallow in the middle of each cup. BIG mistake - The heat pushed it up and you can see the muffin end up with the volcano-effect. What I will try to do next time is to cut it into small bits so that it won't be so "buoyant" that it goes floating on the muffin.

Banana: This is a very nice addition. I use a very very ripe one, it adds an unmistakable aroma to the muffin!

Grapeseed Oil: I like to use oil in muffin as it saves me time to melt the butter, as well as being a healthier choice. Pls feel free to use butter for the buttery taste if you so prefer.

One last thing - this is an excellent recipe for a leisure Sunday breakfast. Just measure and mix all the ingredients in 2 separate bowls the night before. The next morning, turn on the oven & take out the ingredients from the fridge to let them lose the chill while you go wash up or snooze a little more. Then come back and mix them all up within 10 seconds, baked and ENJOY!


Eggless Cola Muffin
250 gm. self-raising flour
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
100 gm. soft brown sugar
60ml milk (I use chocolate milk)
90ml grapeseed oil
150 ml. cola

some marshmallows
some banana, sliced

Method:

  1. Mix all the dry ingredients a large mixing bowl.
  2. In a separate mixing bowl, mix together milk + oil, then coke. Mix thoroughly.
  3. Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and mix them with a fork in 10 strokes. The mixture will still be lumpy, it is ok.
  4. Spoon a large spoonful of batter into muffins cups, then add some marshmallow or banana in the centre then top up with another spoon of batter. Spoon remaining batter and divide equally.
  5. Bake at 190C for about 20 to 25 mins (my oven took 20min) or until well risen and firm to the touch.
  6. Serve warm or cold.
It is soft and fluffy... Nice!


No comments: