My family likes Loh Mai Kai very much... and my hubby always ta-pak (doggie-bag) from the nearby foodcourt for $1.50 each.
I picked up some chicken fillets from NTUC this morning and decided to try to make some Loh Mai Kai. Beside the economics, home made is also a healthier choice as we use less oil and salt.
The recipe I used today is contributed by Gina @Kitchen Capers.
Savoury Glutinous Rice I (Loh Mai Kai)
Serves 2 persons
1 cup of glutinous rice
1 pc of boneless chicken thigh with skin(diced)
4 pcs preserved chinese mushrooms(soften in water, cut into quarters)
3 tbsp onion oil (or corn oil)
seasoning to be mixed together :
3 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
120 ml water
1. Soak rice in tap water for at least 4 hours. Wash and drain, set aside.
2. Heat up wok with onion oil and add mushrooms to fry.
3. Add chicken and seasonings to fry over high heat for 1 min.
4. Remove mushroom and semi cooked chicken leaving the sauce behind.
5. Add rice and fry till the sauce dries up.
6. Arrange chicken and mushrooms on a small bowl, piled up with rice.
7. Spray the top of the rice with water
8. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 5 mins.
9. Over turn bowl on a plate and serve warm.
Notes on steaming using wok or steamer
1. Steam over high heat for 25 mins.