Pages

Banner

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Best Dad



Of all the men in the whole wide world
Whose praises are sung out loud,
There is no man whom I respect more
Or of whom I am more proud.

Throughout the years you’ve worked so hard
To provide us a happy life;
You’ve been there to help and give advice,
And you did it all without strife.

That is why on this day each year,
I pray all your wishes come true;
Today we celebrate your life,
So Dad, Happy Birthday to you.

We Celebrate Your Life By Karl and Joanna Fuchs


This is the same sponge recipe which I successfully tried earlier. He loves coffee, so I decided to make the cake a coffee one.


I started baking the sponges after Sheen gone to bed... and I had to make 2 layers cos my pan is only 2" tall. It whole project is further slow down cos I have only 1 pan. Bake 1, cooled, removed the cake, clean up then 2nd one.

By the time the 2 sponges were done, it's already 2am.

You can see the piping is very amateurish... so uneven! I tried to do the tricking choc along the side of the cake, something I saw in Halimah's cake but the chocolate hardens as soon as it touches the cold cake! Chey!



In the end I use the bowl of melted chocolate on top of the cake instead. I do not have confidence to pipe the words, so I called on my fondant and alphabet cookie cutter.


The 3D number 71 was moulded by pouring melted white chocolate into the number cutter.




By the time I was done, it's 4am. Spent another hour or so putting the cake away, and the most tiring part - cleaning up. I was dead tired but that was nothing compared to the hardship my dad had to go thru bringing us up. All 5 of us.



For a large family of 7, he was the sole breadwinner. With so many mouths to feed, we grew up simply but never starved or deprived of proper education. Every birthday reminds me how grateful I am to my dad. I am blessed to have frugal but responsible parents who ensure we grew up with the right values!


Maybe it's the long years of hardship, though we can afford some pampering every now and then, he still can't bring himself to enjoy the little perks that life brings. My only wishes for my dad is to relax and enjoy the fruits of his labour.

Happy Birthday Dad!






His fav grandchild, 诗婷:



Saving the last piece for myself:

4 comments:

Art of Eating said...

Lovely cake, it's the thoughts that counts. You daddy must be the happiest man. Surrounded by family and kids.

So heart warming.

Cookie said...

Thanks AoE, though the cake ain't the most gorgeous one we ever had for his birthday, I can see the pride and appreciation in his eyes.

As parents, you and I are proud of all achievements by our kids. We may not realised that the same principle actually apply to our parents!

Cheers,
Cookie

Halimah Ilavarasi said...

Ohhh the cake looks good! Giving me inspiration to make my own cofee cake.. I read somewhere about making mocha cake and layering with cofee cream and adding some crushed expresso beans on the coffee cream and putting the next cake layer on top...

Gonna look up the recipe to try it soon...

Cookie said...

Hi Hamlimah,

My cake can't be compared to yours... but thanks for the encouragement!

Ummm, the description sounds exciting...I look forward to seeing (and a bite of) your creation soon!