The carrot has been sitting in the freezer for weeks... waiting to be baked. In my minuscule effort save the suffering egg-hen, I set myself a monthly egg quota. This quota has been used up due to several birthdays of late. Tsk.
I tried hard to find a eggless carrot cake. There ain't any. Don't ask me why. And for god's sake DON'T remind me of my failed eggless sponge!
When I entered the new month, first thing first was to clear this pathetic cup of carrot in my freezer! I make sure this is a worthy recipe to sacrifice the precious eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup grapeseed oil
1 ½ cup plain flour
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp. bicarb. soda
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- Beat sugar, oil and eggs for 5 mins. It should be whiter and fluffy, with its volume at least doubled.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, bicarb.and add to the sugar mixture and beat on low until just combined.
- Lastly fold in the carrots and nuts.
- Bake in a well-greased tin at 180 degrees C. My loaf pan takes 35min with heating core, and 20min for cupcakes,.
- It is moist and yummy. You can see the carrots bits - healthy and wholesome. Just like me.
- Oil: Next time I will use 1~2 tbsp less as the liner was very oily. I would replace it with pineapple juice (or any other liquid) to compensate for the loss in fat.
- Walnuts: I use only ¼ cup as I am not NUTS about nuts. Anyway, nuts contains good oil which your body needs. If you like the nutty texture, do ahead to use 1/2 cup!
- Yield: 1 loaf pan + 6 cupcake.
Personally I like cinnamon... lots of it... so it's extra dash of cinnamon for me!