I remember in my childhood that mum always have some sweet potatoes at home. Whenever I was hungry, I helped myself to those sweet potatoes- skinned them, throw it into the boiling water, and add a few slices of ginger + some rock sugar. I first did this from primary 3, about 9 years old!
It is unfortunate that none in my family likes this... despite my effort trying to make this as pretty as I could, Sheen ain't the least tempted!!!
I ended up having gorging myself, with some refrigerated for supper, and some to my parents. Parents are GREAT - they like to eat everything that I make :-)
Sweet Potato Sweet Soup
sweet potato, skinned and cubed
some gula melaka/rock sugar/white sugar
slices of ginger, optional
a knot of pandan leaves, optional
- Boil the water, throw in sweet potato, gula melaka, ginger and pandan leaves. Taste to add more sweetener as required.
- It is ready when the sweet potato is softened, about 30min.
- You can use any type of sweet potato though I prefer the japanese variant.
- Gula Melaka gives an aroma which is irreplaceable with other sugar.
- Likewise for pandan leaves, it is added for aroma only. Omit if not available.
- to get the flower variation here, steam the sweet potato first so that it is soft enough to be pressed out with a cookie cutter. Have fun playing with your cookie cutter!