Pages

Banner

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mango Pomelo Sago Dessert 杨枝甘露 II


Last Saturday was teh mid autumn festival, what were you doing... and what's the celebration like in your household.

It was pretty much "business as usual" in my family. No special regime but a simple dinner at my parents' place.

Oh yes, on the same afternoon I was invited to my muslim friend's open house. And since it was a Mid Autumn, I told it makes sense for me to bring some festive items to share with the folks. I had a pomelo at home, so the choice is clear.


My blogger friend YY suggested at the previous post that i can try with carnation milk. Why not, sure this is a healthier option than coconut milk!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mango Pomelo Sago Dessert 杨枝甘露 II

Ingredients:
Mangoes ~300g, puree
Mangoes ~200g, cubed
Pomelo 300g, segmented
Sago 100g
Marigold or any Mango Drink 500ml
Sugar 5 tbsp
Evaporated milk, 100ml
Tadpole jelly (optional) - available at phoon huat

To make:
  1. prepare sago: soak rinsed sago in a pot for 30min. Add it into a big (I mean BIG) pot of boiling water. You need a big pot cos the sago will expand thrice the volume when done. Leave it to boil until the sago turn translucent, off the fire. Run the cooked sago under running water. Drained and set aside. (see notes * below)
  2. Dissolve the sugar in evaporated milk & mango juice.
  3. Add (1) + (2) with mango puree, mango cubes, pomelo and sago into a big pot.
  4. Chill well before serving.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Notes *:
I re-post the points on cooking sago here cos my colleague told me her's turn out to be soft and mushy:


1. do not soak for more than 30min. It will all turn mushy if too long. Can skip this step if no time, its ok; will just take a few more minutes to cook.

2. The water must be boiling when adding the sago, otherwise it will again turn all mushy.

3. The pot must be big – I use my tefal wok to cook 100g of sago. Besides having a large surface area, the back base also makes it easy for me to check if the sago has turned translucent.

4. Once it turn translucent, run it under cold/tap water to stop the cooking. This is to ensure the sago maintains the QQ texture.



Incidentally, I find that the pomela has a slight bitter taste. Likewise in the previous pomelo I had. Not sure if you had the same experience. If so, do you know how to get rid of the bitterness?

6 comments:

ann low said...

WOW! This is really a yummy dessert and look at the colours combination~~so pleasing :)

Cookie said...

Thanks Anncoo... I have no doubt you can do a even better job!

Rabbit said...

You got it right with the sago expansion. Mine was overflowing from the pot by the time I finished.

Instead of just running cold water, I also placed them in the freezer for a few minutes.

You know what? In the pack of sago that I bought, the instructions at the back indicate that I should boil them twice. Any thoughts on that?

Cookie said...

Hi Cianoy,
Thanks for dropping by and the freezer tip.

you have raised an interesting point here - I went to the supermarket last night to check out the sago... those sold in Singapore does not have such instruction.

I suspect that a different texture is desired when you boil them twice... wouldn't it be all soft and gooey after all the boilings?

Fiona Tan said...

I experienced the same problem on bitter pomelo. I found out that those pomelo kept in the fridge will turn bitter taste. Pomelo that keep in the room temperature will taste original and sweet.

Cookie said...

Hi Fiona

Ahhh! so this is the mystery behing bitter pomelo.

Thanks for dropping too.

Cheers!