I am living up to my blog name - even my daily bread is baked in the cupcake mould! *GRIN*
I picked up this book "Baking Code" by Alex Goh just 2 days ago. The bread recipe are all based on sponge and dough (S&D) method. I read up on this method and learnt that :
- the long proving time in S&D stabilises the dough, which in turn enables sufficient hydration of the dough. As a result, ability of dough to hold more moisture is enhanced.
- Bread baked using this method is moist and soft. (therefore it's not suitable if you prefer chewy instead of soft bread).
- Long proofing stretches the gluten network of sponge dough results in larger volume bread.
I only baked for 20min, saving the last 5 minutes for a final toast in office so that I can enjoy warm fresh flavour!
40g High protein flour, non-sifted
1/8 tsp instant yeast
To prepare sponge: mix instant yeast with 15g of water until well blended.
Add in the remaining ingredients, and knead to form a dough.
Let it proof for 30min. Wrap in cling film and keep in fridge overnight or up to 48hours.
135g High protein flour, non-sifted
65g Wholemeal flour, non-sifted
6g castor sugar
3g instant yeast
80g overnight sponge dough
2 tsp honey
130g cold water
40g pumpkin seed
To prepare main dough:
- Mix ingredients (A) until well blended. Add in lingredients (B), knead to form dough.
- Add ingredients (C), knead to form smooth and elastic dough. Add ingredients (D), mix until well combined.
- Cover it with cling wrap and let it proof for 45 min in a warm place.
- Divide dough into 3 portions and mould it round. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Flatten the dough, roll it up, shape it into oblong shape and brush the dough with water. Coat it with pumpkin seed and place it in a greased pan. Allow it to proof for 50min. I kept it in the fridge after the 50min; saved it for early morning to have freshly baked breakfast.
- Bake at 200 degC for 20-25min.
Do toast the pumpkin seeds slightly before adding to the bread. Just taste the pumpkin seed before & after toasting, and you will see why the extra step.
Beware this wholemeal bread makes a very hearty meal. Next time, I will shape it into smaller loave so that I do not overstuff myself.