Pages

Banner

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Vidalia Onion Bread




I normally fall in love whole hearted with everything that comes out of my oven. Not this one.
In fact I am terribly disppointed with this bread - it smells so yeasty that I thought something at home has turned bad!


All my 30mins at the sink, tearing over the onions is down the tube! Sian lah!


And you know what... heehee, I blame the failure on the recipe... not me! I have great discipline to follow the trial and tested recipe to a T, you know :-)


If you like bawang like my dear J, and really die-die must bake with this recipe, pls reduce the amount of yeast to 2 teaspoon. 2 tablespoon, in my humble opinion, is a careless typo error on the creator's part! *GRIN*


To my consolation, J happily chomp them despite all! This is what I call unconditional emotional support!


----------------------------------------------------


Dough
1.5 cup warm water
2 tablespoon instant yeast
2 tablespoon sugar
2.5 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
5-6 cup bread flour


Filling
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1.5 pounds vidalia or other sweet white onion, diced (4 cups)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

1 egg, lightly beaten - for glazing


Direction:
  1. Whisk the warm water and yeast together in a electric mixer and let stand for 2-3 minutes to dissolve the yeast.
  2. Stir in the sugar, salt, egg, oil, and 5 cups of flour. Mix to make a soft mass. Knead with dough hook on the lowest speed of the mixer for 8-10 minutes, gradually add more flour as required to form an elastic dough.
  3. Turn the dough out onto a lighted floured surface and form it into a ball. Place it into the bowl and cover it with a cling wrap. Leave in a warm place for about an hour or until the dough double in size.
  4. While waiting for the dough to proof, prepare the filling - sauteed the onion + salt with vegetable oil until it soften.
  5. Remove the onion and stir in poppy seeds. Set aside.
  6. When the dough is proofed, gently punch it down and knead light. Flatten the dough and spread the onion filling over it. Use your finger to press it gently into the dough. Fold the dough into 2.
  7. Make slits on the dough if you wish (I cut one of the slit a bit too deeply, that the onion is exposed, and browned).
  8. Glaze the bread.
  9. Baked in a preheated 160C oven for about 20min or until it is slightly brown.

Source: BetterBaking.com

No comments: