Pages

Banner

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Kueh Salat

Kueh Salat is my favourite kueh... I always buy from Bangawan Solo whenever I walk past one. I see no point in making my own cos I am the only one in the family eating sweet stuff.

This was specially made for Mrs Ho on Teachers' Day as she mentioned that she likes this... So here you go!



After having made my own Kueh, I realised how unhealthy it can be... just look at the copious amount of coconut milk & sugar that goes into it!!!

The original recipe is from Florence - I replace part of the coconut milk with fresh milk cos I find it a sin to pour in so much unhealthy stuff. The taste may not be as good as the original but it is a choice I have made.

I am using the disposable square aluminium foil tray and have increased the portion by 50% (i.e. all the qty multiply by 1.5).

I ran into a small glitch when cooking the custard. Florence said in her blog that we need to cook the custard until thicken before pouring it onto the rice. My problem is that the custard cooked very unevenly in my stainless steel mixing bowl (I mix them in the steel bowl and put it directly over stove to cook it), and I ended up with very lumpy custard and have to drained it. You may want to use a heavy bottom saucepan or even a double boil method (like melting chocolate) to cook the custard.

As usual, the best is to extract the juice and colouring from fresh pandan leaves but if you, like me, want easy way out, pandan paste is a convenient option. Can one lah :-)

This is best eaten on the same day of steaming. The coconut content makes it highly perishable in our hot weather, and refrigeration makes the rice dry and hard.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ingredients:
Rice Layer
300g glutinous rice (soak in water for 5 hours)
100ml coconut milk + 100ml water + 25ml fresh milk
½ tsp salt
Blue food colouring (optional, to sprinkle over rice. I used the flower instead of dye... I will find out the name)
A knot of pandan leaves

Egg Custard Layer
3 eggs
45g plain flour + 35g rice flour
350ml coconut milk + 225ml fresh milk
140g castor sugar
½ tsp pandan paste
¼ tsp salt

Method:

  1. Drain rice and steam on pandan leaves for 20 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat, fluff up the rice with a pair of chopsticks and pour in the coconut milk + salt + water + milk mixture . Mix well.
  3. Steam for a further 20 minutes or till cooked.
  4. Remove pandan leaves and press cooked glutinous rice firmly onto a lined pan. I lined my pan with baking paper (important for easy removal). You can line it with a sheet of banana leaf.
  5. Sieve the 2 flours mixture and add them to lightly beaten eggs. Strain mixture.
  6. Combine coconut milk with pandan juice/paste, salt and sugar. Cook over low heat till sugar dissolved. Stir in the egg mixture and cook till slightly thicken. Make sure it has thicken so that the custard does not seep into the rice layer when it is poured over.
  7. Pour this slightly thickened egg custard over the steamed glutinous rice and steam (at medium/high) for 15 - 20 minutes.
  8. Cut kueh into serving slices when cool.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

No comments: