It's November and my little's birthday is just round the corner. I have been wanting to bake him a birthday though it does seem to me a daunting task! What if the cake didn't turn out well? What if he doesn't like the design? What if I fumble in the bake? Lots of what-ifs... but seeing what fellow blogger like Rei and HHB has made for their children, I am determined to bake Bevis a birthday cake.
First thing first, the recipe must be simple. I only have a miserable small mixer, so if the cake requires lots of whisking or mixing, I am domed.
I found this recipe from here. No whisking, no whipping, no creaming. And all the ingredients are readily in my kitchen. Sure. Let's get ready for a dry run.
- Since I used a different size cake pan, I adjusted the timing accordingly. Bake for 80min at 170C.
- I have a bottle of cherry balsamic vinegar at home which I used with whole milk in place of the buttermilk.
- Instead of 1 cup strong coffee, I used 200ml coffee + 40ml kahlua. Total amount still the same though.
The Taste Test:
- There's a crust on top of the cake. Goner.
- The cake is moist but dense and very heavy. Hubby said" this is not a birthday cake". Period.
- The good thing is that this cake is very very dark as you can see from the pix.
Conclusion, this is a good and simple recipe, but will not make it for celebration.
Oh, and btw, if this is haven, I ain't going!!!
PS: I sandwiched the cake with banana, just like what HHB had done... my baby loves banana so this seemed like a sensible addition. But I still need yet to meet the objective. Next week birthday, HOW? *pulling hair*