To be honest, the egged-version is fluffier and more sponge-like. My colleague told me they prefer the "last time one". But for my own consumption, I will stick to the vegan version... this is all about conscious eating.
How about you - what is your favourite carrot cake recipe?
**********************Macadamia Coconut Carrot Cake
all-purpose flour 1 1/4 cups less 1 tbsp *
baking powder 1 tsp
baking soda ½ teaspoon
salt ½ teaspoon
cinnamon 1 teaspoons
ground nutmeg ½ teaspoon
½ cup mandarin orange juice *
canola oil ¼ cup
sugar ¼ cup
pure maple syrup ¼ cup
vanilla 1 teaspoons
macadamia nuts, roughly chopped ½ cup
unsweetened shredded coconut, 1/4 c
carrots, grated, 1 cup packed and heaped full
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (170C) .
2. In a large mixing bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground spices.
3. In a separate large mixing bowl, mix together pineapple, canola oil, sugar, syrup and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in batches, combine well with a hand mixer or strong fork. Fold in nuts, coconut and carrots.
4. Divide the batter evenly between cupcake cases and bake for 15 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- When using the cup measurement, fluff up the flour in the flour container before scooping into the measuring cup. Otherwise the cake will end up heavier due to higher flour content.
- original recipe call for pineapple juice, but I do not have. So I use mandarin orange juice. Yep, these are leftovers from CNY. I juice them all and freeze it in the ice cube for subsequent usage. I believe Pineapple will be a better fit cos it has stronger taste to complement the carrots.
- I get about 10 cupcakes from this halved recipe.