Last month there I was ranting about Sheen's birthday cake... After all many days of trials, we didn't have a birthday celebration. What a shame!
The day before the celebration, Sheen teacher called to say that he had chicken pox. As it turned out, not chicken pox but a kindda of virus in the inner lips causing his face to swell like PIG! I was not exaggerating! The virus was easily treated with antibiotics but what it meant was the birthday party had to be called off since I do not want to go around spreading germs to other kids.
I actually ordered the printed icing image for his birthday cake but the printing was not so good; there are streaks of black ink across the image so I only salvaged the 3 small images from the 10x6.8".
Needless to say, Sheen was excited to see his fav show on the cakelette.
The rest of the cupcakes are given the Xmas touch. Packed this for his school next day:
His teacher kept asking me about the icing image... Ha, Customisation is BIG business!
The green frosting is very nice. I added some peppermint oil and a drop of green colour paste. The whole kitchen was minty for a while.
It (frosting) takes an extra step to cook the custard but it was an effort worthwhile! Bevis loves to eat the frosting so I always make sure it is made with organic butter!
In my humble opinion, this is the best "buttercream" - it stays up well at room temperature, light and not so sweet.
6 tbsp AP Flour
2 cups of Milk
2 cups of unsalted butter, softened
2 cups of icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
Peppermint oil, a few drops (optional)
Green Colouring, a few drops (optional)
- Cook flour + milk in a saucepan until the mixture is thick and smooth. Cover it with cling film so that skin will not form. Leave it to cool to room temperature, about 30min.
- Beat butter on medium high speed of an electric mixer for ~3min, until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, vanilla extract. Beat continuously for another 3min until fluffy.
- Add the cooled milk mixture, and beat on medium high speed for 5min, until very smooth and whiter in colour.
- Cool and refrigerate for 15min exactly. Use immediately. If left in fridge for too long, it hardens and it will be impossible to spread or pipe.